Relapse of gambling addiction is very common, especially during times of stress. There are many things you can do to prevent yourself from declining your gambling addiction. This list is by no means complete, however, I think these are the five strategies that have personally helped me go back to the casino and reject my money earned by my heart into a slot machine.
1. Pick up the phone and call a friend, family member, the Gambling Hotline, or the Anonymous Gambler Member when the urge occurs. Usually when we make us play, we are really looking for some food from those who love us. Sometimes just a conversation with someone you care about can help make you gamble.
2. Try to find some builder, such as walking, making a new recipe, or even going to the mall or bookstore. Try to do something fun and stimulating as this will replace the gambling activity you are trying to prevent from participating. Fill the void .. with something that takes you.
3. Pick up a pencil and paper and write down how you felt when you drove home from the casino, desperate, angry and depressed. Describe these feelings in detail. You only begin to feel these awful feelings if you just describe them.
4. Visually visualize the way out of the casino. After writing, use this power of visualization to truly experience these feelings. Spend a minute or two doing this. Once you have described your thoughts and feelings and then looked at them, you can truly experience the physiological feelings of traveling back from the casino or other gambling venue. You’re not going to feel good … trust me.
5. Reward yourself for not gambling. Buy yourself a small gift or book. Rent a movie and enjoy your time away from gambling. You will feel uplifted and proud for not giving in to the impulse of gambling addiction.